In A Tale of Two Murders at PJ Media, LaShawn Barber says:
Which received more front-page headlines, statements of outrage, condemnation, sympathy, and resulted in apologetic genuflecting: the murder of a 67-year-old man who made his living as a late-term abortionist or the murder and wounding of two young military recruiters on duty?
What do mainstream media and liberal bloggers find more newsworthy: a white, anti-government, schizophrenic “Christian” who murdered the notorious Dr. George Tiller or a black, America-hating, anti-military Muslim who murdered William Long, a young soldier?
Unfortunately, Barber is not looking at the larger picture. More than two heinous, ‘lone’ politically-linked murders have been committed recently:
* Jim D. Adkisson murdered two church members in a liberal Unitarian Universalist Church in Tennessee on July 27, 2008. “It appears that what brought him to this horrible event was his lack of being able to obtain a job, his frustration over that, and his stated hatred for the liberal movement.”
* Richard Poplawski gunned down three Pittsburgh police officers on April 4, 2009. Poplawski, a white supremacist, was a member of the ‘Stormfront’ community who believed that Jews control America. He also believed that the government was going to take away his guns.
* Joshua Cartwright killed two sheriff’s deputies in Florida on April 25, 2009. Cartwright’s wife said her husband “believed that the US Government was conspiring against him. She said he had been severely disturbed that Barack Obama had been elected President.”
* Scott Roeder, freeper, member of the “Sovereign Citizen Movement”, contributor to “Prayer and Action News” (a magazine promoting the idea that killing doctors who perform abortions is “justifiable homicide.”) killed abortion provider George Tiller in his church May 31, 2009.
* Muslim convert Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad, Islamist zealot who studied with Wahhabists in Yemen murdered Pvt. William A. Long and wounded Pvt. Quinton Ezeagwula.
* James W. von Brunn, a white supremacist, 9/11 truther, Obama birth-certificate nutter, Ron Paul supporter and Freeper shot a security guard at the Holocaust Museum
In addition, here are two horrific crimes that were prevented by our government:
* Four African-American converts to Islam, all of whom converted to Islam in prison were arrested by the FBI just as they attempted to bomb two Riverdale synagogues, in the Bronx and a New York National Guard air base in Newburgh, New York where they lived and attended a mosque.
* Harold “Hal” Turner, whose views have been labeled racist, anti-Semitic and anti-government, was arrested on a warrant obtained by Connecticut’s Capitol Police Department after he urged readers to “take up arms” against two lawmakers and a member of the state ethics office.
“Lone” Islamists like Abdulhakim Mujahid Muhammad and the Newburgh bomber wannabes are part of a larger, political organization that has been at war with the United States (and with most of the world) for decades. This organization is a known quantity. We know who the leaders are (Saudi Arabia, the Muslim Brotherhood, Pakistani Intelligence, Iran, Syria). We know where the foot soldiers are trained (camps in the US, Afghanistan, Pakistan). We know who their ideological representatives are in the US (CAIR, MAS, etc).
“Lone” activists like von Brunn, the groups that support, fund and ideologically encourage them are currently under investigation, and under more scrutiny because we do NOT know as much about them. Because this is a new (and violent) trend, it’s getting more attention.
Republicans were formerly known for their condemnation of terror. After 9/11, when the conservative movement considered itself to be a ‘big tent’ kind of thing, condemning terrorism was the first priority.
What are conservative priorities now? People who contribute to online sources like Free Republic should be keeping a sharp watch out for nutters like von Brunn, and they should be demanding government (and media) investigations, not condemning them. Responding to these criminal acts with moral equivalency arguments and obvious distraction techniques will not help the GOP win any elections.
After 9/11, Muslim ‘activist’ groups complained more about America and the media’s “bias” against Islam than they did about bin Laden. The first priority of these special interest groups was to cry about media bias. They didn’t pour into the streets to protest against bin Laden, they didn’t demand that the FBI should investigate extremist centers in Muslim communities.
These Muslim groups were condemned for this reaction, for good reason.