Painting with light is a fun technique that gives great results. It is called painting with light because this is what you are actually doing while taking the shot – painting with light.
You don’t need much to experiment with this kind of shot, just make sure you have the following items:
1. A camera capable of long exposures – film cameras will work OK, but if you really want to get the most out of the shooting session, use a digital camera. You will be able to see the results in “real time” and make corrections as you go.
2. A nice tripod. Since you will be doing some long exposures you want to make sure your camera sits still. If you don’t have a tripod you can make one in a few minutes (see this article or this one).
3. A flash light – and by flash light I do not mean flash as in a speedlight, but the flash light or what our British will call a torch.
4. A dark location. This one is tricky. If you are going to shot at home – a dark room will be OK. If you are going to shoot outside – make sure that you are not doing this under a street light, or where a car can come by and “paint its headlight” all over your shot.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Devil’s Spit (short story clip)
- For Better or Worse (short story – online)
- Miss Patel’s Holiday (short story clip)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- Remembering David Bowie (short story clip)
- Sari Sari (short story clip)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- Welcome to the Jungle (short story – online)
- What Would Teddy Do? (short story – online)
- RT @elonmusk: This is why we must preserve the light of consciousness by becoming a spacefaring civilization & extending life to other plan… 15 minutes ago
- Zelda sleeping https://t.co/NAp1p4GYSi 12 hours ago
- NYC https://t.co/06ZRqe6M4p 21 hours ago
- Just posted a photo instagram.com/p/BkalhIplmSf/… 22 hours ago
- Just posted a photo instagram.com/p/BkahKBblT2b/… 22 hours ago