1 5 lb. whole chicken
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
3 mild Italian sausages
1 1/2 cups cornbread stuffing
about 10 medium sized potatoes
Preheat oven to 425 F
1. Rub the chicken with olive oil and salt. Slice one lemon thinly and slide lemon rings under skin
2. Cut up half the onion and the garlic clove and fry in olive oil till browned.
3. Slice one side of the uncooked sausage, peel off skin and crumble into onion/garlic mixture. Fry till browned. Add cornbread, thyme and about 2 cups water and cook till liquid is gone.
4. Peel and slice potatoes, lemons and the other half of the onion. Oil a deep lasagne pan and put the sliced stuff in, then put the chicken in the center. Stuff loosly with sausage/cornbread mixture, crumble the rest of the stuffing over the potatoes, onions and lemons.
5. Cook at 425 for 15 minutes. Then lower temp to 325 F and cook for about 1 1/2 hour.
6. After 1 1/2 hour cooking, turn chicken breast side down and cook for about 15 more minutes till back skin is also browned. Take out of oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, cut and serve