Question: What role, then, is the Internet playing in Russian media?
Answer: Elena Vartanova ( Moscow State University Journalism Faculty): It really is a new part of our media system. People are increasingly consuming online news, and online news often takes the first step in agenda-setting. Only then do consumers get more analysis and commentary from print sources.
One of the functions of online media is creating an alternative news agenda. If you watch big television channels you see distilled content, which is double-checked by company managers, by people in power ¬ you won’t find problematic material. The alternative agenda on the Internet is helping Russians see pitfalls and problems. And the Internet has become a tool for people to create public opinion, to support the “man on the street.” In Russia, when mainstream media says something, you should double-check on the Internet. It provides a different point of view.
–Interview by Josh Tapper, Nieman Journalism Lab
In the above quote, Elena Vartanova echos two key research questions we have for Russian Media Cloud:
1. Are blogs and other online media provide an alternative public sphere, and;
2. What role do they play in agenda setting of the news.
To begin to test these hypotheses we have built off the hard work by Ethan Zuckerman, Hal Roberts, David Larochelle, Yochi Benkler and Zoe Fraade-Blanar on English Media Cloud, which collects data on different sets of English language blogs and popular traditional media available online (mostly newspapers). For the Russia effort we have an even larger and more varied set of feeds…
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- 7 Tips for Night Surfing blog.theclymb.com/passions/surf-… 14 minutes ago
- How to Turn an Airstream into a Fully Wired Mobile Office @outsidemagazine outsideonline.com/2051266/how-tu… 12 hours ago
- We are born of supernovas – our spectacular and totally ordinary origin story – aeon.co/videos/we-are-… via @aeonmag 16 hours ago
- Bookworm: The Stunning, Delicious Depravity of Lawrence Durrell’s ‘Justine’ tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-an… via @tabletmag 20 hours ago
- Orange Mushrooms growing all over the neighborhood - May be poisonous Jack o lanterns instagram.com/p/BZJkGzsA6ZH/ 1 day ago