On arrival at Queen Mary in 2010 to study medicine he found little evidence of his extremism being mirrored at the Whitechapel campus.
“I was the most radical guy there in probably the entire medical school,” he said.
But when he transferred to study physics at the university’s main campus in Mile End in 2012 he experienced a sea-change.
“That’s where the proper radicalism was,” he says, “I wasn’t alone anymore. There were lots of people like myself who agreed with my mode of thinking.”
This thinking included discussion about jihad, fighting the ‘kuffar’, and establishing a caliphate.
Mr Ahmed, who has since left Islam and come out as being gay, has grave concerns about the influence of Queen Mary’s Islamic Society, of which he was a member.
“If I were in charge I would most definitely break up the Islamic Society,” he said.
“Right now, everyone that runs the Islamic Society, they’re all Salafis, radicals, that’s not in question. I’d either completely get rid of the society or put people that are less radical in charge.”
But he says the problem has grown from a wider failure to engage with and tackle the threat from radical Islamism.
“When I was in school no one was radical,” he said. “People used to look down on me, I was ostracised. But over the years that I’ve been at university everyone was radicalised like me.
“That didn’t happen in a vacuum. That happened slowly with the innovation of Saudi Wahhabi literature backed by the influx of Saudi preachers. All of that stuff hasn’t happened by itself.”
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- Think you know your own mind? Think again bigthink.com/aeon-ideas/wha… 9 minutes ago
- This is just wrong instagram.com/p/BeRKyH1ggR7/ 17 hours ago
- Pilot Report: Super Petrel LS generalaviationnews.com/2018/01/11/pil… via @genavnews 19 hours ago
- The Last Manned Mars Plan (1971) wired.com/2012/06/the-la… via @WIRED 21 hours ago
- Just posted a photo @ Karge St. Beach Bay Head NJ instagram.com/p/BeOhnf5g8kr/ 1 day ago