The German vice-chancellor has publicly accused Saudi Arabia of financing Islamic extremism in the West and warned that it must stop.
Sigmar Gabriel said that the Saudi regime is funding extremist mosques and communities that pose a danger to public security.
“We have to make clear to the Saudis that the time of looking away is over,” Mr Gabriel told Bild am Sonntag newspaper in an interview.
“Wahhabi mosques all over the world are financed by Saudi Arabia. Many Islamists who are a threat to public safety come from these communities in Germany.”
The allegation that Saudi Arabia has funded mosques with links to Islamist terrorism in the West is not new. But it is highly unusual for a Western leader to speak out so directly against the West’s key Arab ally.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- What Ikea’s Designers Learned From Living In A Simulated Mars Habitat fastcodesign.com/90130253/what-… 2 days ago
- The World's Most Beautiful Beach Cities Where You Can Live for Dirt Cheap @Thrillist thrillist.com/travel/nation/… 2 days ago
- Just posted a photo @ Enchanted Forest Cross Country Ski Area instagram.com/p/BVxoosLgrgB/ 3 days ago
- * sigh * @ Eagle Nest Lake State Park instagram.com/p/BVxbgf2gVgu/ 3 days ago
- RT @sahouraxo: Syrian women in Aleppo (1968). Syrian women in Al-Qaeda-occupied Aleppo (2016). https://t.co/Rk268bDtjN 3 days ago