The latest figure, 2,411, reported by The Associated Press, was based on what the agency described as its updated compilation from state news reports and official remarks from 36 of the more than 180 countries where pilgrims had traveled from. If confirmed, the toll would make the stampede the worst in the history of the hajj, the annual five-day pilgrimage that Muslims aspire to complete at least once.
The A.P. and other global news agencies, including Reuters and Agence France-Presse, have been periodically increasing their estimated death tolls since the Sept. 24 stampede, based on the same general methodologies of compiling official figures from the victims’ home countries.
Continue reading the main story
Number of Iranians Killed in Hajj Stampede Grows to 464OCT. 1, 2015
Hajj Tragedy Inflames Schisms During a Pilgrimage Designed for UnitySEPT. 25, 2015
Hajj Stampede Near Mecca Leaves Over 700 DeadSEPT. 24, 2015
Mecca Stampede Shows How Crowds, Usually Calm in Crisis, Can PanicSEPT. 24, 2015
The Saudis, by contrast, have asserted almost from the beginning that 769 pilgrims died in the stampede, which took place about three miles east of Mecca, when crowds became trapped on narrow streets. While the Saudi king, Salman, ordered an immediate investigation, there has been no update on its progress.
Nor has there been any clarity from the Saudis regarding the initial contradictory accounts of what happened. Some officials at first appeared to blame the victims saying they did not follow instructions, but witnesses described exits closed inexplicably that might have induced a panic.
A virtual news blackout on the disaster has prevailed in Saudi Arabia’s news media since.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- Just posted a photo @ Karge St. Beach Bay Head NJ instagram.com/p/BeOhnf5g8kr/ 6 hours ago
- Sketch from life drawing class instagram.com/p/BeMuAXpAk27/ 23 hours ago
- 8 Ways Icing Affects Your Aircraft boldmethod.com/lists/2018/01/… #flysharp #avgeek 23 hours ago
- How To Make A Perfect Short Field Landing | Boldmethod boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/m… #flysharp 23 hours ago
- How To Fly With The FAA's New BasicMed Program | Boldmethod boldmethod.com/blog/article/2… #flysharp 2 days ago