There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the mass abduction. Hunters from various rich Gulf states often make trips to Iraq’s southern desert at this time of year.
Qatar’s Foreign Ministry said a group of its citizens were kidnapped in Iraq while on a hunting trip. It did not mention how many were in the group.
In a statement, the ministry said it was working with the Iraqi government to secure their release “as soon as possible”. It added that the hunters had entered Iraqi territory with an permit from Iraq’s Interior Ministry.
A Samawa police colonel said the hunters had been escorted on their trip by an Iraqi security detail but that it decided not to engage a large number of gunmen.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- BBC News - 'The story of a weird world I was warned never to tell' bbc.com/news/stories-4… 16 hours ago
- Are Humans Really On The Brink Of Achieving Immortality? via @IFLScience: iflscience.com/technology/are… 16 hours ago
- 3 of 5 stars to The Parent Trap by Vic Crume goodreads.com/review/show/23… 1 day ago
- gucci models carried their own severed heads down the runway i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/… via @i_D 1 day ago
- International Relations studies - What's wrong and how to fix it. foreignpolicy.com/2018/02/20/ame… 1 day ago