BEIRUT: Saudi Arabia Tuesday issued a travel warning against Lebanon, while the United Arab Emirates banned its citizens from entering the country altogether and drastically reduced its diplomatic presence in Beirut.
The surprise moves will likely be viewed as an escalation in Lebanese-Gulf ties following Riyadh’s decision to suspend a massive aid package last week citing a political dispute.
Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry cited safety concerns over its travel warning, whereas the UAE did not provide a reason.
“The ministry asks all citizens not to travel to Lebanon for their own safety, and asks (Saudi) residents of Lebanon or visitors to leave, and not to remain there unless absolutely necessary,” the kingdom’s official SPA news agency said.
The UAE’s official news agency WAM said its foreign ministry “raises the travel warning (already in place) against Lebanon to ban travelers starting Tuesday.”
“The foreign ministry also decided to reduce the number of members of its diplomatic mission in Beirut to a minimum,” it added.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- How to Get Away With Murder in Small-Town India nyti.ms/2vMNZoI 31 minutes ago
- Sign made with paper cups stuck into a fence instagram.com/p/BX_kFUpg2QM/ 1 hour ago
- Wonder Bar, where you can pour your own beer @ the world famous wonder bar instagram.com/p/BX_j0GFAO1E/ 1 hour ago
- Bruce in Casper instagram.com/p/BX_jnpKAkft/ 1 hour ago
- Space.com Remembers Bruno Gulotta, Friend and Colleague Killed in Barcelona Attack shar.es/1SgUoJ via @SPACEdotcom 1 day ago