For example, voice-responsive AI systems now handle fairly simple customer requests, like dealing with minor banking queries or ordering a pizza. The next probable step is to develop voice AI services so they can integrate information from different sources, such as digital diaries, online maps and corporate websites, and co-ordinate meeting friends and car rides with visits to restaurants and cinemas for users.
Sundar Pichai, chief executive of Google, speaking as his company reported its latest earnings in April, expressed great hopes for AI. Machine learning, whereby computers teach themselves, and artificial intelligence are technologies his business has invested in for years. Mr Pichai said they have now reached a point where they will start to have a far greater effect on the company and its cloud customers.
“I think we will evolve in computing from a mobile-first to an AI-first world.”
If you accept this view, moving data storage and computing to the cloud will be only the first step in a far bigger transition. Once liberated from the confines of internal IT structures, companies will find other benefits, such as tapping into more varied feeds of data and accessing intelligent services.
With such capabilities, the thinking goes, companies will be able to infuse their own services with this intelligence thanks to the “AI in the cloud”.
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- 7 Tips for Night Surfing blog.theclymb.com/passions/surf-… 19 minutes ago
- How to Turn an Airstream into a Fully Wired Mobile Office @outsidemagazine outsideonline.com/2051266/how-tu… 12 hours ago
- We are born of supernovas – our spectacular and totally ordinary origin story – aeon.co/videos/we-are-… via @aeonmag 16 hours ago
- Bookworm: The Stunning, Delicious Depravity of Lawrence Durrell’s ‘Justine’ tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-an… via @tabletmag 20 hours ago
- Orange Mushrooms growing all over the neighborhood - May be poisonous Jack o lanterns instagram.com/p/BZJkGzsA6ZH/ 1 day ago