For NASA and its leading contractors, shaken by sharp changes in the wake of the 2008 presidential election, Tuesday’s results could translate into serious belt tightening.
Yet Mr. Trump has stressed the importance of supporting deep-space exploration, and his campaign attracted a cadre of veteran experts with long histories supporting robust space efforts.
One far-reaching set of potential changes that have been discussed for years may now be squarely on the table, according to industry officials and transitions aides: restructuring and shrinking NASA’s web of regional centers.
Such moves could slash thousands of employees and save billions of dollars yearly.
Based on Mr. Trump’s campaign positions, NASA’s climate-change research also may come under the ax, along with aerospace research not directly tied to space endeavors.
During the primaries, Mr. Trump hinted his NASA policies would cut agency spending as part of a broader deficit reduction drive, though such topics generated scant attention. But as the general election campaign heated up in Florida, where space is a fundamental pillar of the economy, the message morphed into extolling the importance of pursuing such programs
- A Non-Violent Activist Dies in Texas (online article)
- Are Police Taking Sides in Protests? (online article)
- Artwork, Stories and Photojournalism
- Austrian Party with Nazi Imagery Wins Big (online article)
- Notes from the Obama Rally (Nov. 12, 2007)
- The Media as Theater of War
- Travel Journal
- A New Yorker in Belize
- Belize: Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley
- Belmar Beach after the Storm – 2009
- Christmas in New York (2005)
- Civilization in the Jungle: Mayan Lamanai Temple
- Fruit and Flowers in the Garden State
- Jones Beach Airshow
- Protest at the UN: No to dictatorship, yes to democracy in Iran
- San Francisco 2005
- Wintery Wall Street – 2009
- Zombies at the Jersey Shore – 2009
- Two Visits to a Fast-Changing Lebanon (online article)
- Wahhabism, Saudi Arabia, and Their Gift to Yale | Omer Aziz
- 7 Tips for Night Surfing blog.theclymb.com/passions/surf-… 17 minutes ago
- How to Turn an Airstream into a Fully Wired Mobile Office @outsidemagazine outsideonline.com/2051266/how-tu… 12 hours ago
- We are born of supernovas – our spectacular and totally ordinary origin story – aeon.co/videos/we-are-… via @aeonmag 16 hours ago
- Bookworm: The Stunning, Delicious Depravity of Lawrence Durrell’s ‘Justine’ tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-an… via @tabletmag 20 hours ago
- Orange Mushrooms growing all over the neighborhood - May be poisonous Jack o lanterns instagram.com/p/BZJkGzsA6ZH/ 1 day ago